The article shows the dynamics of the development of the 55-year-long cooperation between the USSR/Russia and Zambia, as well as the characteristics of the first stage of the cooperation between our countries during the period when the United Party of National Independence (UNIP) led by Kenneth Kaunda was in power, and later in the 1990s when contacts were limited.
The bilateral cooperation of our countries at the present stage is based on our common international interests. The partnership between Russia and the Republic of South Africa in the framework of the BRICS has not only been a new stage in the development of our relations, but has also opened up additional opportunities for cooperation with the neighbors of South Africa related to it politically and economically, including Zambia.
Consultations are regularly held on topical international and regional problems at the level of foreign ministries, inter-parliamentary ties have been established. In the last decade there have been talks of foreign ministers, as well as top-level negotiations at the meetings of the Russian President V.V. Putin and the Zambian President E. Lungu at the 10th BRICS Summit (Johannesburg, South Africa, July 2018). Since the beginning of the 2010s bilateral trade has shown a certain dynamics, although the second stage of cooperation between our countries is characterized by the prevalence of political contacts.
The political leadership of Russia understands and takes into account that many African development problems have to be tackled in the context of a low standard of living. The cancellation by Russia in 2001 of more than 80% of the Zambian debt created additional conditions for the development of business relations between our countries. The interest of Russian business to the Zambian market has increased. Nevertheless, the trade turnover between the Russian Federation and Zambia is still having a low and unstable volume, mutual deliveries are still fragmentary.
Cooperation in the field of education continues. The quota for Zambian students sent to study in the Russian Federation is growing. There are new areas of cooperation, for example, in the field of telemedicine. Russia is helping Zambia to solve the problem of energy resources. In May 2018, Rosatom and Zambia signed a contract to build a Center for Nuclear Science and Technology. This is the first joint project of Russia and Zambia in the field of nuclear technologies.
USSR, Russia, Zambia, diplomatic relations, consultations at the level of foreign ministries, inter-parliamentary relations, debt cancellation, bilateral trade, personnel training, Center for Nuclear Science and Technology
1. 28 oktyabrya 2014 goda torzhestvennoe zasedanie Uchenogo soveta (October 28, 2014 a ceremonial meeting of the Research Council). https://www.inafran.ru/node/829 (accessed 26.01.2019)
2. Abramova I.O. (2015) Global’nye politicheskie i ehkonomicheskie processy v Afrike v kontekste realizacii celej razvitiya kontinenta v XXI veke (Global political and economic processes in Africa in the context of realizing the goals of the continent’s development in the 21st century) Uchenye zapiski Instituta Afriki RAN (Journal of the Institute for African Studies) № 1 (32), pp. 4–14.
3. Bondarenko D.M. (2010) Dvuglavyj orel na krasnom fone: «sovetskoe nasledie» v obraze Rossii v soznanii afrikancev (Double-headed eagle on a red background: “Soviet heritage” in the image of Russia in the minds of Africans) Rossiya – Afrika: novye orientiry vzaimootnoshenij (Russia – Africa: New Landmarks of Relationships). Moscow. IAfr RAS, pp. 66–108.
4. Byulleten’ Posol’stva RF v Zambii (Bulletin of the Embassy of Russia in Zambia). September 22, 2011.
5. Byulleten’ Posol’stva RF v Zambii (Bulletin of the Embassy of Russia in Zambia). October 31, 2013.
6. Chuvaeva M.A., Ksenofontova N.A. (1996) Respublika Zambiya. Spravochnik (Republic of Zambia. Reference Book) Moscow. Vostochnaya literatura, 272 p.
7. Dejch T.L. (2008) Afrika v strategii Kitaya (Africa in the Strategy of China). Moscow. IAfr RAS, 326 p. SBN 978-5-91298-033-6.
8. Embassy of The Russian Federation in the Republic of Zambia. Bilateral Cooperation. https://www.mid.ru/ns-rafr.nsf/89414576079db559432569d8002421fc/432569a40037340743256c3a 00 47948d?OpenDocument (accessed 26.01.2019)
9. Fituni L.L. (2015) Agressivnye negosudarstvennye aktory – novaya ugroza razvitiyu Afriki (Aggressive non-state actors – a new threat to the development of Africa) Uchenye zapiski Instituta Afriki RAN (Journal of the Institute for African Studies) № 1 (32), pp. 14–21.
10. Golovkina A. Zambiya prinyala srazu sto turistov (100 Russian Tourists in Zambi at once). https://www.tourprom.ru/news/26115 (accessed 26.01.2019)
11. Kapoma D.N. Young People in Zambian Politics. https://www.lusakatimes.com/2018/03/01/ young-people-zambian-politics (accessed 27.01.2019)
12. Kostelyanec S.V. (2013) Vneshnyaya politika Zambii. (Foreign Policy of Zambia) Zambiya. Spravochno-monograficheskoe izdanie (Zambiya Reference Book). Moscow. IAfr RAS, 344 p. ISB 978-S-91298-126-5.
13. Lavrov obsudit s glavoj MID Zambii uregulirovanie krizisov v Afrike i bor’bu s terrorizmom (Lavrov to discuss the settlement of crises in Africa and the anti-terrorist struggle with the Foreign Minister of Zambia). https://tass.ru/politika/4295435 (accessed 26.01.2019)
14. Likvidaciya ugrozy vojny zavisit ot konkretnyh lichnostej (The elimination of the threat of war depends on specific individuals) Institute of Social and Political Studies. https://ispr.ru/politiki-mira/kennet-kaunla/likvidaciya-ugrozy-vojny-zavisit-ot-konkretnyx-lichnostej.html (accessed 26.01.2019)
15. Otnosheniya Rossii i Zambii imeyut potencial dlya razvitiya, zayavila Matvienko (The relations between Russia and Zambia have potential for development, says Matvienko). https://ria.ru/politics/20180418/1518921448.html (accessed 27.01.2019)
16. Putin’s stance on Syria good. https://www.times.co.zm/?p=81816 (accessed 26.01.2019)
17. Rezul’taty golosovaniya Genassamblei OON po proektu rezolyucii o podderzhke territorial’noj celostnosti Ukrainy (Voting results of the UN General Assembly on the draft resolution on supporting the territorial integrity of Ukraine). https://itar-tass.com/infographics/7580 (accessed 25.01.2019)
18. Rosatom i Respublika Zambiya podpisali paket soglashenij po proektu sooruzheniya Centra yadernoj nauki i tekhnologij (Rosatom and the Republic of Zambia signed a package of agreements on a project to build a Center for Nuclear Science and Technology). https://www.rosatom.ru/journalist/ news/rosatom-i-respublika-zambiya-podpisali-paket-soglasheniy-po-proektu-sooruzheniya-tsentra-yadernoy-na (accessed 27.01.2019)
19. Rossijsko-zambijskie otnosheniya (Russian-Zambian relations). (accessed 26.01.2019)
20. Shubin V.G. (1999) Afrikanskij nacional’nyj kongress v gody podpol’ya i vooruzhennoj bor’by (African National Congress in the years of the underground and of the armed struggle) Moscow. IAfr RAS, 468 p.
21. Shubin G.V. (2016) Nekotorye osobennosti rynka tyazhelyh vooruzhenij YUAR i drugih stran Afriki (Some features of the heavy weapons market of South Africa and other African countries) Yug Afriki na sovremennom ehtape. Sbornik statej (Afrique du Sud au stade actuel. Collection d’articles) Moscow. IAfr RAS, pp. 150–160. SBN 978-5-91298-173-9.
22. Students from Zambia to study nuclear science in Russia. https://www.miningreview.com/ students-zambia-nuclear-science-russia (accessed 27.01.2019)
23. Tovarooborot Rossii i Zambii (aprel’ 2017 – aprel’ 2018 gg.) (Trade turnover between Russia and Zambia (April 2017 – April 2018)). https://ru-stat.com/date-M201704-201804/RU/trade/ZM (accessed 25.01.2019)
24. Vruchenie veritel’nyh gramot poslami inostrannyh gosudarstv (Presentation of credentials by ambassadors of foreign countries). https://www.kremlin.ru/news/14563 (accessed 25.01.2019)
25. Zambia and Russia propose to scale up Diplomatics ties. https://www.lusakatimes. com/2018/07/28/zambia-and-russia-propose-to-scale-up-diplomatics-ties (accessed 27.01.2019)
26. Zambia Center for Nuclear Science and Technology premiered at the largest Zambia trade show. https://rosatom.ru/en/press-centre/news/zambia-center-for-nuclear-science-and-technology-premiered-at-the-largest-zambia-trade-show (accessed 27.01.2019)