The article discusses the possibility of implementing some African countries one of the main directions of overcoming absolute poverty − employment of able-bodied population, improving the efficiency of labor. It is emphasized that the employability of youth and women played an important role in poverty reduction. The focus is on the fact that in the informal economy of Tropical Africa that the vast majority of young people and women find work. The few jobs that are created for employees in the formal sector of the economy are primarily held by men. Thus, women in Tropical Africa tend to work in unprotected employment. At the same time, the high economic activity of women in the region could be a positive factor in accelerating economic growth if productivity and working conditions improved. The author shares the opinion of sociologists, who believe that the problem of women’s employment is directly related to the opportunities of women in education. It is emphasized that in many countries of the region, the economic activity of these groups of population is influenced by traditional norms of behavior. There are many options for programs to improve the labor market and the social protection system. The preference for a programme depends on the specific circumstances, social priorities and financial capacity of the African country concerned.
Examples of interaction between international structures, individual countries of the world and African organizations in solving the problem of employment of youth and women of the continent are given.
employment, women, youth, Africa, problem, international and governmental programmes
1. Abramova I.O. Rynok truda v stranakh Afriki: kolichestvennye I kachestvennye kharakteristiki (Labor Market in Africa: quantitative and qualitative characteristics). Problemy sovremennoj ekonomiki (The problems of a modern economy). 2013. № 4 (48).
2. Abramova I.O. and Fituni L.L. The potential of the African continent in the development strategy of the Russian economy. World Economy and International Relations, 2017. № 9 р. 24–35. DOI: 10.20542/0131-2227-2017-61-9-24-35
3. Bezrabotiza v YuAR samaya vysokaya za desjat’ let (Unemployment in South Africa is the highest in ten years) https://offshoreview.eu/2016/11/23/ (accessed 26.10.2018)
4. Business South Africa. Special issue. Russia-South Africa business Council. Moscow, 2008.
5. Doklad Mezhdunarodnoj konferenzii truda «Krizis v sfere zanyatosti molodezhi: vremya deistvovat» (Report of the International labour conference. 101st session, 2012 youth employment Crisis: time to act) Genevе, International labour office. 1st ed., 2012.
6. Economicheskie perspektivy Afriki v 2015 godu. Doklad Afrikanskogo banka razvitiya. (Economic prospects for Africa in 2015. Report of the African development Bank). Abidjan, 25 may 2015.