The article deals with the problem of the post Arabic spring situation. Only three Arab countries remained unchanged in Africa: Morocco, Algeria and Sudan. After a long period of time their protesters remained outside the zone of active action, but over time they appeared in the streets again. The circumstances forced people to take to the streets. Moroccans were in a better situation, but gradually the population of Algeria and Sudan where the situation was especially serious began to criticize the policy of the authorities, although they did it exclusively peacefully.
For the first time in Russian African studies, the author assesses all the driving forces of the events at the end of 2020 and early 2021 and, emphasizing the complications brought by the coronavirus pandemic, makes an analytical forecast for the further development of the situation.
army in political establishment, civil war, hirak, deep economic crisis, coronavirus, preferences
1. 2020 Investment Climate Statements: Sudan. U.S. Department of State. https://www.state.gov/ reports/2020-investment-climate-statements/sudan/ (accessed 25.01.2021)
A. Muhammad. Algeria in Search of an Economic and Political Future. Middle East Policy. Vol II Summer, № 2 2020.
A. Nossiter. Hopes Fade for New Political Course in Algeria. A Year After Popular Uprising. The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/04/world/africa/algeria-protests-politics.html (accessed 23.01.2021)
2. Abdennour Toumi. Today`s Hirak in Algeria Needs to Take a New Track. ORSAM-Center for Middle Eastern Studies. https://orsam.org.tr/en/todays-hirak-needs-to-change-its-track/ (accessed 25.01.2021)
3. Algerian journalist Khaled Drareni jailed for two years on appeal. France 24. https://www.france24.com/en/20200915-algerian-journalist-khaled-drareni-jailed-for-two-years-on-appeal (accessed 02.02. 2021)
4. Algeria’s forex reserves drop by $10.6 bln in 9 months. Reuters. https://www.reuters.com/article/ algeria-reserves-idUSL8N2A34I7 (accessed 15.01.2021)
5. Bel’khamiti M.E.-M. Alzhir: Khirak – massovoe mirnoe dvizhenie (Algeria: hirak, a mass peaceful movement). Arabistika Evrazii. 2019. № 7. S.102–116. ISSN: 2619-1261.
6. Constitution amendée: une nouvelle ère démocratique. Algeria Press Service. https://www.aps. dz/algerie/115268-signature-de-la-constitution-par-le-president-tebboune-les-principaux-amendements-marquent-une-nouvelle-ere-democratique (accessed 25.01.2021)
7. Coronavirus vaccine: China jab 86% effective, UAE says. BBC. https://www.bbc.com/news/ world-middle-east-55250 (accessed 25.01.2021)