Articles and other materials are to be sent to the editorial office of the journal “Journal of the Institute for African Studies” through the website of the journal (click “SEND ARTICLE TO THE JOURNAL” on the website of the journal on Internet) or by e-mail: email@example.com.
The fee for the publication of articles is not charged.
Authors must confirm that the article proposed for publication has not been previously published, nor has it been submitted for review and publication in another journal (or give an appropriate explanation in the Comment section). Otherwise, the manuscript cannot be accepted for reviewing.
All copyrighted materials submitted to the editorial office of the journal “Journal of the Institute for African Studies” are reviewed in order to assess the originality and quality of the manuscript. The review contains a set of formal criteria for evaluating the material – scientific novelty, the relevance of the study, the degree of explanation of the topic, etc. If necessary, the reviewer may recommend amending, re-submitting the article after completion or reject the publication of the article.
Review takes place in several stages:
1. internal review by editorial staff, including the editor-in-chief and / or members of the editorial board. At this stage, the material is pre-evaluated and can be rejected for the following reasons:
The manuscript does not comply with the editorial policy, theme, or profile of the journal;
• the content of the manuscript does not correspond to the stated topic;
• inconsistency of the proposed material with the nature and level of scientific publication (articles, reviews, scientific reports, etc.);
• poor quality of the material (ignorance of the main sources and literature on the topic, weak factual and evidential bases, inconclusive conclusions, repetition of the conclusions and theses well known in the scientific literature on the subject, etc.);
• when submitting the manuscript, registration requirements are not taken into account.
2. A manuscript that has passed the intra-editorial stage of review is sent to an external scientific review by an authoritative expert in a given subject area. The method of “double-blind” (anonymous) review is used mainly, that is, the reviewer and the author do not know each other. In this case, the editors are guided by:
• confidentiality (the inadmissibility of the transfer or familiarization of third parties who do not have the appropriate authority from the editorial board with the text of the review);
• identifying cases of plagiarism and other unethical practices;
• efficiency and objectivity in work,
• reasoning of the evaluation of the research results;
• verification of specified sources of information;
• unconditional identification and exclusion of conflicts of interest, including the absence of official and other links between the reviewer and the author.
Reviewers in their work rely on the principles formulated by the Committee on the Ethics of Scientific Publications and observe:
• Code of ethics of scientific publications of the Non-Profit Partnership “Committee on the Ethics of Scientific Publications”,
• Code of Conduct and Best Practice Guidelines for Journal Editors.
The editorial board takes into account the opinion of the reviewer when deciding on the publication of the manuscript, as well as the need for the author to take into account the reviewer’s comments when finalizing the text.
The text of the review is stored in the editorial office. If necessary, a copy of the substantive part of the review and / or a reasoned refusal is sent to the author in compliance with the standard rules and procedures for blind review. Also, upon request, a copy of the review is sent to the Ministry of Science and Higher Education of the Russian Federation (Ministry of Education and Science of Russia).
Requirements for submitted manuscripts
The following information about the author is attached to the manuscript:
• Full name (fully),
• the official name of the place of work (in Russian – in the nominative case), the address of the place of work,
• academic degree,
• contact details of the author: address, telephone numbers, email address.
Manuscripts proposed for publication in the “Journal of the Institute of African Studies” should meet the following requirements:
• correspond to the subject of the journal (political, economic and social processes occurring in the African continent, history and cultural anthropology of African countries and peoples, Russian-African cooperation) or more general problems of the world economy, international relations, political science, history, social and cultural anthropology which have a direct impact on the development of the countries of the continent (see http://africajournal.ru/homeru/misandhist/);
• comply with the Ethical Principles of the authors of the journal “Journal of the Institute for African Studies”;
• be prepared in accordance with the standards for the articles for the journal “Journal of the Institute for African Studies”;
• rely on the works of scientists and specialists who have studied the topic covered in the manuscript;
• contain elements of scientific and informational novelty.
Please note that the authors are responsible for the selection and accuracy of the facts, quotes, economic statistics, proper names, place names, and other information, as well as for the use of data not intended for open press. By submitting the manuscript of his or her article to the editors, the author undertakes not to publish it in whole or in part in another publication without the consent of the publisher.
Unpublished manuscripts are not reviewed and are not returned to authors.