December 14, 1960 marks the 60th anniversary of the adoption on the initiative of the USSR of the Declaration on the granting of independence to colonial countries and peoples by the XV Session of the UN General Assembly (GA). The author analyzes the significance of this act for the subsequent process of liberation of peoples from colonial rule from the perspective of the historical developments of the next six decades. The author comes up with a new interpretation of the diplomatic tactics chosen by the Soviet Union at the UN as well as in the confronting imperialist countries elsewhere on the timing of granting independence, ensuring the territorial integrity of the emerging young states, the presence of foreign bases and zones of extraterritorial jurisdiction on their land. The article provides a comparative analysis of the texts of the declaration proposed for consideration by the GA by the Soviet Union and the adopted version of the Declaration of the UN GA Resolution 1415 (XV). The author analyzes the situation in the world after the dismemberment of the USSR, from the perspective of the degree of completion of the decolonization process. He comes to the conclusion that in place of traditional colonialism, a project of a new global coloniality is being introduced, which preserves the fundamental and essential characteristics of actual colonial rule: external dependence and economic exploitation.
decolonization, developing countries, strategy and tactics of diplomacy, sanctions, coloniality, dependence
1. 1514 (XV). Deklaratsiya o predostavlenii nezavisimosti kolonialnym stranam i narodam (Declaration on the granting of independence to colonial countries and peoples), https://www.un.org/ga/search/view_doc.asp?symbol=A/RES/1514(XV)&Lang=E (accessed 01.11.2020)
2. 1954: Housewives celebrate end of rationing. BBC. http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/ stories/july/4/newsid_3818000/3818563.stm (accessed 06.11.2020)
3. Aktualnyye problemy otnosheniy SSSR so stranami Afriki (Actual problems of relations between the USSR and African countries). Moscow. Mezhdunarodnye Otnosheniya, 1985, 304 p. (in Russ).
4. Cogneau D., Dupraz Y., Mesplé-Somps S. (2019). Fiscal Capacity and Dualism in Colonial States: The French Empire 1830–1962. https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-01818700v3 (accessed 01.11.2020)
5. Deklaratsiya o predostavlenii nezavisimosti kolonialnym stranam i narodam. Vnesena na rassmotreniye XV sessii Generalnoy Assamblei OON 23 sentyabrya 1960 goda glavoy delegatsii SSSR. Predsedatelem Soveta Ministrov SSSR N.S. Khrushchevym (Declaration on the granting of independence to colonial countries and peoples. Submitted to the XV session of the UN General Assembly on September 23, 1960 by the head of the USSR delegation, Chairman of the Council of Ministers of the USSR N. S. Khrushchev) Pravda, September 24, 1960.
6. Fituni L.L. (2019) “Sanktsionnoye targetirovaniye”: instrument vneshney politiki. nechestnoy konkurentsii ili globalnogo sotsialnogo inzhiniringa? (Targeted Sanctions: a Tool of Foreign Policy, Unfair Competition or Global Social Engineering?) MGIMO Review of International Relations. 2019, No. 3 (66), 17–41 (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.24833/2071-8160-2019-3-66-17-41.