This article examines the activities of the UN peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and the main problems associated with its organization and conduct. The author analyzes the prospects for effective modernization of the UN mission in this country, taking into account the historical, socio-political, ethnic, economic contradictions existing there. Based on his own experience of participation in the UN mission in the DRC and the experience of his colleagues, the author provides a comprehensive assessment of the conflict and possible ways to resolve it. The research has shown that mission work can be significantly more efficient under certain conditions. The author, on the basis of personal participation in the UN mission in the DRC, for the first time summarized the problem zones in the work of the mission and the reasons for their existence and proposed direction for increasing the efficiency of the UN mission in the DRC, the prospect for its development.
Despite the multimillion-dollar infusion, the country has remained one of the most economically backward in the world for decades. Many analysts agree that expensive development projects tend to work for themselves rather than for the Congolese. The shadow economy in the DRC is flourishing, and with it the illegal export of the most valuable minerals (coltan, tungsten, cassiterite, gold, diamonds and much more), the final destination of which is in the largest industrial corporations in Europe and America.
As the analysis has shown, the colossal financial flows going to the DRC are primarily aimed at protecting the sphere of raw material interests of foreign companies in this country. This is precisely where the policy of double standards of Western and now Eastern partners is manifested.
Democratic Republic of Congo, MONUSCO, peacekeeping, armed conflict, Africa, United Nation Security Council
1. Kabongo Malu Emmanuel. De la phénoménologie de l’identité collective perdue et de la disparition de la RD Congolaise comme peuple historique. Supplement au Potentiel. 20.06.2011, р. 12.
2. Sidorova G.M., Vooruzhennye konflikty v Afrike na primere Demokraticheskoy respubliki Kongo (Armed conflicts in Africa on the example of the Democratic Republic of Congo). Publishing house «Vostochnaja Literatura». 2013. 399 p.
3. Sorokina O.Yu., Polnomochiya Soveta Bezopasnosti Organizatsii Obyedinennyh Natsiy (PhD (jurisprudence), Powers of the UN Security Council: Dissertation). Moscow. 2009. 65 p.
4. Vinokurov Yu. N., Demokraticheskaya Respublika Kongo. Vlast i oppozitsiya. (Democratic Republic of Congo. Power and Opposition). Publishing house «Vostochnaja Literatura». Moscow. 2003.
5. UN Secretary General’s report on the implementation of the framework agreement for peace, security and cooperation for the Democratic Republic of Congo and the region, UN document: S/2013/387 dated of 28 June 2013.