African Development Bank: Experience in Assessing Inclusive Economic Growth in North Africa
The article discusses the African Development Bank (Bank), the features of its activities and the experience of assessing inclusive economic growth (IEG) in the countries of North Africa. The author reveals the structure of the EDI index (developed and tested for the countries of North Africa by the Bank’s specialists), based on the use of generally recognized social and economic indicators. The author concludes that the use of various indicators and weighting factors in the index will allow development banks (DBs) to objectively assess the impact of their activities on the EDI in regions and countries. The EDI index will complement the existing system for evaluating the activities of the BR, and will allow them to use their resources more efficiently, plan and implement projects and programs, considering current goals.
African Development Bank, project, project cycle, inclusive economic growth, inclusive economic growth index, indicators and weights, North African countries
2. Abramova I., Fituni L. 2009. Competing for Africa’s natural resources. International Affairs: A Russian Journal of World Politics, Diplomacy and International Relations. 2009. Vol. 55, № 3, р. 47‒58.
3. Abramova I.O., Fituni L.L. 2017. The impact of structural and macroeconomic imbalances on the fundamental trends of socio-economic development in the Middle East and North Africa. Contours of global transformations: politics, economics, law. Vol. 10, № 2, рp. 13‒33.
4. African Development Bank Group in North Africa. Looking for inclusion. 2014. https://www.afdb.org/fileadmin/uploads/afdb/Documents/Publications/TheAfDB_Group_in_North_Africa_2014.pdf (accessed 15.01.2021)
5. African Development Bank Group. Annual report 2020. https://www.afdb.org/en /documents/ annual-report-2020 (accessed: 20.06.2021)
6. African development bank. North Africa Regional Overview. https://www.afdb.org/en/countries/ north-africa/north-africa-overview (accessed 22.01.2021)
7. Annual Development Effectiveness Review 2019. Integrating Africa, Connecting People. African Development Bank Group. https://www.afdb.org/fileadmin/uploads/afdb/Documents/Development_ Effectiveness_Review _2019/ ADER_2019__EN.pdf (accessed 20.05.2021)
8. Asian development bank. https://www.adb.org/search?keywords=project%20cycle&page=1& source=suggest (accessed 10.12.2020).
9. Bourguignon F. Can Redistribution Accelerate Growth and Development? Paper prepared for the ABCDE/Europe, Paris 26‒28 June 2000. https://www.researchgate.net/ publication/265304697_Can_ Redistribution_Accelerate_Growth_and_Development (accessed 15.01.2021)
10. De Luna-Martínez, J. 2017 Survey of National Development Banks J. De Luna- Martínez. Global report. World Bank Group. https://documents1.worldbank.org/curated/en/977821525438071799/ pdf/2017-Survey-of-National-development-banks.pdf (accessed 22.06.2019)
11. Dünhaupt, P., Herr, H. 2020. Trade, Global Value Chains and Development. What Role for National Development Banks? Berlin School of Economics and Law, Institute for International Political Economy (IPE). https://www.ipe-berlin.org/fileadmin / institut-ipe/ Dokumente /Working Papers/ipe_working_paper_143.pdf (accessed 15.04.2021)
12. Griffith-Jones, S. 2021. The roles and importance of development banks. CEPAL, Seminario Fiscal, 23 de abril, 2021. https://www.cepal.org/sites/default/files/presentations /stephany_griffith-jones.pdf (accessed 15.06.2021)
13. Heider, C. 2017. Why Measurement Matters in Development Financial Institutions. September 26, 2017. https://ieg.worldbankgroup.org/blog/why-measurement-matters-development-financial-institutions (accessed 15.03.2021) https://www.afdb.org/fileadmin/uploads/afdb/Documents/Publi-cations/North_Africa_-_Working_paper_-_Measuring_Inclusive_Growth__From_theory_to_appli-cations (accessed 12.12.2021)
14. Independent development evaluation (IDEV). African development bank. Annual report 2019. From experience to knowledge and learning. https://www.afdb.org/en/news-and-events/idev-2019-annual-report-experience-knowledge-and-learning-35401 (accessed 20.05.2021)
15. Independent Review Mechanism. Annual Report 2019. African development bank group. https://www.afdb.org/en/documents/independent-review-mechanism-annual-report-2019 (accessed 22.03.2021)
16. Measuring Inclusive Growth: From Theory to Applications in North Africa. Working Paper. North Africa Policy Series. African development bank. 2016. https://www.afdb.org/fileadmin/uploads/ afdb/Documents/Publications/North_Africa_-_Working_paper_-_Measuring_Inclusive_Growth__ From_theory_to_applications (дата обращения 15.03.2021)
17. Musacchio A., Lazzarini S., Makhoul P., Simmons E. 2017. The Role and Impact of Development Banks. A Review of their Founding, Focus, and Influence. March 2017. https://people.brandeis.edu/ ~aldom/papers/The%20Role%20and%20Impact%20of%20Development%20Banks%20-%203-9-2017.pdf (accessed 11.01.2021)
18. North Africa Economic Outlook 2021. Debt Dynamics: The Path to Post-COVID Recovery. African Development Bank Group https://www.afdb.org/en/ documents/north-africa-economic-outlook-2021 (accessed 18.01.2022)
19. The World Bank. Global Economic Prospects. Overview. https://www.worldbank.org/en/ publication/global-economic-prospects (дата обращения 14.04.2022)
20. United Nations Development Program. Human Development Reports. http://hdr.undp.org/en/ content/human-development-index-hdi (accessed 07.02.2021)
21. World Bank. World development indicators. https://databank.worldbank.org/source/world-development-indicators (accessed 14.04.2022)
22. Wruuck, P. 2015. Promoting investment and growth: The role of development banks in Europe. Deutsche Bank research. EU Monitor. Global financial markets. https://www.dbresearch.com/ PROD/RPS_ENPROD/PROD0000000000441779/Promoting_investment_and_growth%3A_The_role_of_devel.pdf?undefined&realload=QupVP6f/SfhfaTR8WxQ8ARsS1iEl2xZ4uGeiE7dPt~IJNFTs9zz4jOx1K2puPMg1 (accessed 07.01.2019)