In this article the author analyses in detail the UN peacemaking activities illustrated by the example of the MINUSCA peacekeeping mission in the Central African Republic (CAR). Today the mission has achieved the following results: presidential and legislative elections have been held, cooperation with neighboring states has been established, UN cooperation with local security agencies is advancing, conditions for the protection of natural resources have been assured, conflict mitigation activities for the local population are being organized. However, there is no progress in a number of areas, which is consequently connected with such intrastructural problems of the UN as duplication of functions and responsibilities in various UN departments, lack of representation of African countries in UN administrative structures, the issue of compliance with the UN mandate while implementing this mandate in a civil war. Not only will the solution of these problems increase the effectiveness of the UN peacekeeping mission in the CAR, it will also increase the level of security in Africa as a whole.
MINUSCA, the UN, Central Africa, CAR, peacemaking operation, peacekeeping mission, the UN reform
1. Abramova I.O. Afrika v sovremennoj modeli miroustrojstva: vesomyj igrok ili autsajder? (Africa in the modern model of the world order: a significant player or an outsider?). Kontury globalnyh transformacij: politika, ekonomika, pravo. Vol. 11, № 5, p. 6–21.
2. Abramova I.O., Fituni L.L. Afrikanskij segment mnogopolyarnogo mira: dinamika geostrategicheskoj znachimosti (The African segment of the multipolar world: the dynamics of geostrategic significance). Mirovaya ekonomika i mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya. 2018. Vol.62, № 12, p. 5‒14.
3. Abramova I.O., Fituni L.L. Novaya strategiya Britanii v Afrike v svete interesov Rossii (Britain’s new strategy in Africa in the light of Russia’s interests). Sovremennaya Evropa. 2020. № 6, p. 52‒63.
4. Abramova I.O., Fituni L.L. Novaya strategiya Rossii na Afrikanskom napravlenii. (Russia’s new strategy in the African direction). Vestnik RAN. 2020. Vol. 90, № 11, p. 1067‒1076.
5. African Economic Outlook 2021. From Debt Resolution to Growth: The Road Ahead for Africa. https://www.afdb.org/en/documents/african-economic-outlook-2021 (аccessed 01.02.2022)
6. Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project (ACLED). Regional Overview: Africa 22-28 January 2022. https://acleddata.com/2022/02/03/regional-overview-africa-22-28-january-2022/ (аccessed 07.02.2022)
7. Astahov E. Dvizhenie neprisoedineniya na sovremennom etape. (The Non-Aligned Movement at the present stage). https://russiancouncil.ru/analytics-and-comments/analytics/dvizhenie-neprisoe-dineniya-na-sovremennom-etape/ (аccessed 01.10.2021)