The relations between Russia and Africa today go to a new level. This was successfully demonstrated by the first Russia-Africa Summit. The «soft power» that is capable of creating an atmosphere of trust and mutual understanding and supporting the further development of political, economic, and cultural relations between the Russian and African peoples is of great importance for the further advancement of Russia’s interests, which is considered in this article.
Currently, the «soft power» of Russia in Africa is represented by the activities of the Russian centers of science and culture, the «Russkiy Mir» Foundation, schools at the Russian Embassies in African countries, the education of Africans in Russian universities and more. However, the author concludes that Russia does not fully use «soft power» on the continent.
It is necessary to increase the number of Africans studying the Russian language, to more actively promote Russian education, to involve compatriots and graduates of Soviet / Russian universities to joint projects, which will undoubtedly contribute to the further development of mutually beneficial Russian-African ties.
Russia, Africa, Russia-Africa Summit, prospects, cooperation, cultural and humanitarian sphere, «soft power»
1. Abramova I. Sotrudnichestvo mezhdu Rossiei i Afrikoi dolzhno nosit «tochechnyi» kharakter (Cooperation between Russia and Africa should be «selective» in nature) Roskongress, 14.02.2020. https://roscongress.org/blog/irina-abramova-institut-afriki-ran-sotrudnichestvo-mezhdu-rossiey-i-afrikoy-dolzhno-nosit-tochechnyy/ (accessed 15.05.2020)
2. Afrika – Rossiya+: dostizheniya, problemy, perspektivy: sovmestnyi doklad Rossiiskogo soveta po mezhdunarodnym delam (RSMD) i SOYuZA «Afrikanskaya delovaya initsiativa» (ADI) Doklad No 53/2020 (Africa – Russia +: achievements, problems, prospects: a joint report of the Russian Council on Foreign Affairs (INF) and the African Business Initiative (ADI) UNION Report No. 53/2020). A.V. Kortunov, N.G. Tsaizer, E.V. Kharitonova, G.A. Kochofa, D.P. Ezhov, L.E. Chkoniya; Rossiiskii sovet po mezhdunarodnym delam (RSMD). Moscow, NP RSMD, 2020. 60 p. https://russian council.ru/papers/Russia-Africa-Report53-Ru.pdf. ISBN 978-5-6042567-5-6 (accessed 14.05.2020)
3. Chto takoe kabinet? (What is an office?) Russkii mir. https://russkiymir.ru/rucenter/cabinet.php (accessed 25.06.2020)
4. Deklaratsiya pervogo sammita Rossiya – Afrika (Declaration of the first Russia-Africa summit). Sammit. Ekonomicheskii forum Rossiya – Afrika. https://summitafrica.ru/about-summit/declaration/ (accessed 15.05.2020)
5. Fond «Russkii mir» (Foundation «Russian World»). https://russkiymir.ru/fund/ (accessed 25.06.2020)
6. Gumanitarnoe soprovozhdenie rossiiskogo biznesa v Efiopii (Humanitarian support of Russian business in Ethiopia). Rossiiskii tsentr nauki i kultury v Addis-Abebe. http://eth.rs.gov.ru/% 20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20/activities/471 (accessed 25.06.2020)