The article is devoted to the exposition of the author’s vision immediate tasks of Russian African studies and the development of a set of measures to improve the efficiency and overall optimization of the management of scientific research, primarily in the field of socio-political sciences under the new conditions imposed by the Special Military Operation, aggressive pressure and destructive steps of the united West, the general growth of confrontation on the world stage and crisis of the existing structures of world economic relations. The general main direction, both for African studies and for most other areas of domestic scientific research, is to increase the efficiency of the investments therein (investments in a broad sense, and not only financial!). In practical terms, this means a departure from artificial “numeral” and bibliometric criteria of the effectiveness of scientific activity in favor of unambiguous obtaining of the practical ultimate results, needed by the state today.
African studies, criteria for scientific activity efficiency, science management, Special Military Operation, Russia, Africa
1. Abramova I.O., Fituni L.L. Ways to increase the effectiveness of Russia’s African strategy in the conditions of the crisis of the existing world order. (In Russ.) Bulletin of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 2022, vol. 92, № 9, pp. 837‒848.
2. Colquhoun D. (2003). Challenging the tyranny of impact factors. Nature, 423, 479. https://doi. org/10.1038/423479a (accessed 05.10.2022)
3. Fituni L.L. The development of national science is a sine qua non subjectivity of Africa in the emerging world order. In: Scientific and technological potential of modern Africa. (In Russ.) Moscow, 2022. pp. 13‒28.
4. Fituni L.L. Global governance and the development of science in Africa. Joural of the Institute of Africa of the Russian Academy of Sciences. (In Russ.) 2015. № 3 (34), pp. 38‒43.
5. Fituni L.L. Science, Technology and innovation in Africa: stereotypes, realities, prospects. (In Russ.) Asia and Africa today. 2021. № 4, pp. 15‒24.
6. Introductory speech by the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation Sergey Lavrov at a meeting with university graduates newly accepted into the diplomatic service, Moscow, October 18, 2022. (In Russ.) https://www.mid.ru/ru/press_service/minister_speeches/1834267 (accessed 19.11.2022)
7. Kiesslich Т., Beyreis М., Zimmermann G. et al. Citation inequality and the Journal Impact Factor: median, mean, (does it) matter? Scientometrics. 126, 1249‒1269 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-020-03812-y (accessed 05.10.2022)