The current global gas markets agenda inspires the interest to the process of diversification of the gas supply chains in order to maintain the energy security of the regions. The article includes the author’s own analysis of the perspectives for obtaining additional volumes of gas supplies from alternative sources, based on Russian and international news sources, thematic reports and publications of research institutes such as African Energy Chamber, the Oxford Institute for Energy Studies, and statistical data. The main conclusion from the provided analysis is that, at current situation, expectations of substantial increase in gas supplies from African region in short and middle term are overstated.
Africa; natural gas, liquefied natural gas (LNG), gas supply, European gas market
1. Africa energy outlook 2022. IEA. https://iea.blob.core.windows.net/assets/6fa5a6c0-ca73-4a7f-a243-fb5e83ecfb94/AfricaEnergyOutlook2022.pdf (аccessed 14 July 2022)
2. African Energy Chamber. Homepage. https://energychamber.org/ (аccessed 14 July 2022)
3. Algeria will cut off gas supplies to Spain via Morocco. RIA Novosti. https://ria.ru/20211101/gaz-1757154588.html (аccessed 14 July 2022)
4. BP statistical review of world energy 2022. BP p.l.c. https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp/business-sites/en/global/corporate/pdfs/energy-economics/statistical-review/bp-stats-review-2022-full-report.pdf (аccessed 14 July 2022)
5. Draghi heads to Algeria as Italy seeks to cut Russia gas imports. Bloomberg Finance L.P. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-09/algeria-to-expand-natural-gas-exports-to-italy-by-almost-half (аccessed 14 July 2022)
6. Eni and Sonatrach agree to increase gas supplies from Algeria through Transmed. Eni SpA. https://www.eni.com/en-IT/media/pressrelease/2022/04/eni-and-sonatrach-agree-to-increase-gas-supplies-from-algeria-through-transmed.html (аccessed 14 July 2022)